Sunday, June 5, 2011

Weekend Sights

Though I love both my internships, my weekends in New York City have proved to be my favorite time of the week. This weekend, I stepped up my sightseeing game. 

Yesterday afternoon, Monica and I started with Grand Central Station. I posted a picture of it a few posts back (the exterior, at least.) I learned that the interior was redesigned by Jackie Kennedy in the 60's. 


We walked from Grand Central with the intention of going to see St. Patricks Cathedral. On the way, we ended up at the original Saks Fifth Avenue. The storefront was amazing. Also, found dozens of quatrefoils! 





Quatrefoils on the Saks storefront! 

Next, we headed to St. Patricks Cathedral. I quickly realized that the Cathedral serves as an assembly line for weddings on Saturday afternoons. We saw two just in the time we were there. Also learned couples pay $2,000 to use the church for their ceremony. 






Another quatrefoil...I found this one inside the Cathedral. 

After we visited the Cathedral we went to Rockefeller Plaza across the street. 


This was my favorite part of our adventure. We went to the cafe on the plaza and ordered a drink. We started talking to the four guys sitting at the table next to us from North Carolina. They were very clearly not acquainted with New York City, because they ordered 16 beers (four each) at the cafe at Rockefeller Plaza. Needless to say, their reactions to the $200 bill were priceless. 

My Saturday evening was spent catching up with one of my sorority sisters, Lauren, who graduated last year and has lived and worked in New York City since. We had fantastic specialty pizza and took a walk on a new New York attraction, the High Line. The High Line is an elevated walkway the city has spent the last few years building. It used to be an elevated railway. 


From the High Line, I was able to capture some great photos of the city at night.


The Empire State building has a lighting schedule. This weekend, it's navy blue, light blue and white in honor of the 63rd annual Celebrate Israel parade. 

Today, I decided to take advantage of the cool weather and walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It's the only bridge in the city with a walking pass. It offers beautiful fews of lower Manhattan and some great uptown views as well. Plus, the bridge itself is beautiful. 



Lower Manhattan from the Brooklyn Bridge.



Uptown from the Brooklyn Bridge.


Tomorrow starts another work week. I'm extremely excited for Wednesday as I will be attending my first game in the NEW Yankee Stadium. I'm sure there will be a long post following my experiences! 

No comments:

Post a Comment