Thursday, May 26, 2011

First observations

I've only been here for 7 hours and there's already SO much to take in, so here's a list...for now (I'll post pictures later): 


When I was alone in my four person suite after just arriving and checking in, I realized it was probably the last time I was going to be truly alone for a very long time. There are nearly 1.6 million people on this island. Privacy is a thing of the past for me. 

I can see 40 Wall Street from my window. It's the Trump Building (not to be confused with Trump Tower on the other side of town.) The financial district where my dorm is located is swarming with men and women in business attire at lunch time and 5 p.m. By 6, the neighborhood is dead. Never would have imagined there would be such stillness in such a large city. 

My best discovery of the day: It's Fleet week in New York City. This means Manhattan is crawling with Navy sailors coming off ships docked in New York Harbor. Not only are they great eye candy, they're gentlemen as well. I know this because a uniformed Navy man is the only person who held the door for me today in all my travels around lower Manhattan. 

Tomorrow morning is my first experimentation (in several years) with the Subway system. Stay tuned.


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see pics! Glad you're having such a good experience so far- have fun tomorrow! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stayed in those dorms last summer! Have tons of fun and soak it in. It goes by so fast.

    ReplyDelete