Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Memories

I never realized how many memories I had in this city until I came here and visited places I had explored in the past. Then, the memories came. 

Friday morning I took the 4 train from the Wall Street and Broadway stop near my apartment to Grand Central Station for a meeting with one of my internships, Power and Motoryacht Magazine. My meeting was fabulous and I'm so excited to start working at this publication. The staff is fantastic and I can't wait to start completing the tasks I've been assigned. I've started brainstorming ideas for the feature story I will write for the magazine that will be published in the August issue. Stay tuned :) 


I've taken the subway many times in my life, but I've only had one previous experience on the 4, one which I had forgotten until I rode the train several days ago. I was 10 years old and I had fallen asleep in my dads lap. We were going back to Brooklyn after the second game of the 2000 World Series, one of my favorite memories with my father. Being on that train Friday morning reminded me of our trip home after a New York Yankees game 2 victory. It was bittersweet for me to remember that moment with my dad. 

Growing up in Brooklyn, I have several family friends who still live there. One in particular, Monica, is someone I've known my entire life and who I've explored New York City with before. She and I look forward to seeing the city as tourists this summer. That's a thing I've noticed about New Yorkers, they never go to the tourist hotspots throughout the city.

 In honor of Fleet Week, we went to the USS Intrepid Museum on west side of Manhattan. The Intrepid is an aircraft carrier that was commissioned during the World War II and was used during the Korean War. It has been docked in New York City for almost 30 years. We explored the ship and several submarines at the museum as well. 



The rest of my first weekend in the city brought me to Brooklyn. I went to a local bar Friday night with a childhood friend, Sheila. I spent the rest of the weekend with her as well. 

This picture was taken during a football game at Mizzou that Sheila attended with me and our mothers. 

Being in Brooklyn brings back memories, too. Memories with both of my parents and even my grandmother, who lived in Brooklyn nearly her entire life. I'm so thankful to have jogged these memories this weekend. They serve as a reminder to me that although they might not be here, there are so many people who are with me during this journey I've embarked on this summer. 

 I also learned several lessons during a few long days in Brooklyn. Being with family friends has reminded me just how important it is to have people you love near you, no matter what the situation may be. I've also been reminded that sometimes the hardest thing is still the right thing to do and is the best decision in the end. Although I definitely didn't imagine I'd spend my first weekend in the city in Brooklyn, I'm very glad I did. 

Tomorrow is the first day of my internship(s). I'll spend the day at the magazine getting my feet wet and I cannot wait. Also, very excited to head over the Random House on Wednesday. I'll write about those once I get into a routine tomorrow! 

Also, can't wait to continue my sightseeing!

More to Come,
Jamie 

No comments:

Post a Comment